January 20, 2018 1 min read
Every adventure has its most memorable moments. Here are a few of ours that were equal parts enthralling and inspirational:
1. Meeting with Karma of Bhutan Street Fashion, who has hosted designers like Philip Lim and Vivienne Tam, helping them to source and cast models and locations. He also works with a local nonprofit that’s establishing a design school in Bhutan. Karma toured us through the back streets of Thimpu and introduced us to local friends.
2. Stumbling into a remote hilltop Sangchen Dorji Lhendrup convent, and finding colorful simply woven bracelets. We asked the nuns if it would be possible to make a rushed custom order of 200 bracelets, and they agreed. The next day, we returned for a once-in-a-lifetime photo and video shoot with the nuns, filled with wonderful energy and lots of laughter.
3. Drinking butter tea and rice wine in the homes of local families.
4. Witnessing a sacred ceremony of monks blessing our guide’s family home.
5. Taking a hot stone bath after a strenuous hike up to Tiger’s nest monastery.
Interested in visiting Bhutan? Here are a few tips:
Foreigners are required to travel with a guide and driver during their stay in Bhutan, which helps the country control tourism and create jobs. The minimum cost is $300 per person per day.
Don’t miss Terma Linca in Thimpu, and Dhensa in Punakha with stunning views over the valley.
Comments will be approved before showing up.